Foreign Minister Péter Szijjárto Condemns Istanbul Terror Attack In Strongest Possible Language

Publicated on: June 29, 2016

Speaking from Ferencz Liszt International Airport in Budapest on Wednesday morning, Hungarian Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó strongly condemned the suicide attacks that killed 41 and injured 239 at Istanbul's Attaturk airport on Tuesday, June 28th.

Foreign Minister Peter Szijjártó offered his deepest sympathies and condolences on behalf of the Hungarian government to all those affected by the recent suicide attacks that took place at Atatürk Airport in Istanbul on Tuesday, June 28th.

“The Hungarian Government condemns the attack in the strongest possible terms, assures the families of the victims of its sympathy and wishes the injured a speedy recovery,” Szijjártó said. Speaking to reporters, Szijjártó also confirmed that according to information from the Istanbul authories, “41 people were killed in the attack and 239 were injured. No Hungarian citizens are among the dead or injured”.

A total of 76 Hungarian citizens had previously registered for consular protection at Hungary’s Consulate General in Istanbul. “The Consulate General has spoken with all of the Hungarian citizens currently in Istanbul and they are all fine. 64 of the 65 Hungarians currently outside the city have also been reached, and they are also well”, Szijjártó said whilst emphasizing the importance of consular registration.

A Turkish Airlines flight from Budapest to Istanbul was also confirmed to have landed safely in Ankara Tuesday evening and a statement from Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade indicated officials from the Hungarian Embassy were at the airport ready to assist Hungarian citizens. Pending further inquiry, there will be no change in Turkey’s travel classification from the Foreign Ministry: the country is currently classed as category two, meaning travelers are warned to be especially vigilant.

Foreign Minister Péter Szijjárto at Ferencz Liszt International Airport in Budapest

Speaking on the topic of aviation security at Ferenc Liszt International Airport in Budapest, the Prime Minister’s Chief Advisor on Homeland Security György Bakondi explained: “The EU held a security inspection here in 2013 and at the time the Airport was rated as outstanding. Several stricter measures have been introduced since the terrorist attack in Brussels and various important law enforcement and intelligence measures were also implemented on this occasion to guarantee airport security. This is the second suicide attack with major casualties against an airport within a short period of time and accordingly there is extensive ongoing discussion and exchange of information between European security services,” reassured Bakondi.

Hungary recently deployed an additional 150 soldiers to Northern Iraq as part of the international coalition to counter ISIL.

(MTI)

Menu

Homepage

Navigation