Entry for long stay (exceeding 90 days)

Regulations on a stay exceeding 90 days fall within the competence of national authorities, therefore there is no uniform routine among the Schengen Member States. Foreign nationals requesting entry to Hungary with a purpose of a long stay may submit a residence permit application. In case of successful application, s/he will get a visa authorizing him/her to a single entry for receiving a residence permit and to stay for maximum 30 days in Hungary. The decision on the residence permit falls within the scope of the regional directorates of the Office for Immigration.

Attention! Family members of EU/EEA nationals, needing a visa to enter Hungary, for special conditions, please read the following link, which will redirect you to the homepage of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Hungary:


Info on entering Hungary and in the pdf file please read part: "Entry for long stay (exceeding 90 days)".

A residence permit application can be submitted directly to a regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality in Hungary, if

a) the applicant can prove the exceptional reasons of the request, among others, family reunification or medical treatment,

b) the purpose of stay is research,

c) the applicant concerned is a national of one of the countries listed on Annex II (which includes the United States of America) of Council Regulation EC no 539/2001 (visa free countries).

I. Supporting documents


1. The consul may request the presentation of further documents in addition to the ones cited below.

2. Documents shall be submitted in original. The original documents will be sent back. They may be asked for when crossing the Hungarian border.

3. The consulate reserves the right to examine the authenticity of the communicated data and the submitted documents. The communication of false data will in itself lead to the refusal of the visa application.

- Valid passport (the validity of which has to exceed that of the requested visa by at least 3 months);
- 2 passport-size color photos (identical, not older than 6 months);
- a wholly and legibly completed, signed “residence permit” application form. The application forms for the residence permit and also those for other documents are available on the web site of the Immigration Office (www.bmbah.hu

In Hungarian: www.bmbah.hu/nyomtatvany_mintak.php  (www.bmbah.hu  /Enter using Hungarian language Ügyintézés/Nyomtatványminták 
In English: www.bmbah.hu /Enter/Administration/Standard forms 
In French: www.bmbah.hu /Entrer/Administration/Formulaires

- supporting documents of the purpose of stay;

- supporting documents of the accommodation;
- supporting documents of the subsistence;
- Please also indicate on a separate sheet your contact information in the US (address, phone number, e-mail) and the date of your departure to Hungary!
- a health insurance.

For non-US citizens:
- original of valid US alien registration card (residence permit, aka: green card) or valid US resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, O, R)

II. Purpose of Stay

Depending on the purpose of entry, the following documents are needed for the application for residence permit:

- for gainful activity
- to study in Hungary
- for family reunification
- to visit friends/relatives
- for medical treatment
- for research
- to do voluntary work If your stay doesn't fall in neither of the categories above, fill out the form "residence permit for other reasons" and attach to it the documents of mentioned above (in part I).

In the case of a residence permit for the purpose of gainful activity:

- a work permit, that can be obtained in Hungary from the Labor Authority of the county (or Budapest) where the future employment will take place. Application shall be filed by the future Hungarian employer. Once issued, the work permit shall be sent to the foreigner to submit it with the visa application,
- a contract of employment,
- a document certifying occupancy in Hungary, and
- a certificate on how the person will make a living until he receives his first salary (bank account statement, employer’s certificate that he will pay an advance to the person, etc.)  


- a certificate on the character of the gainful activity (the articles of association),
- the resolution on the court registration of the enterprise,
- a document certifying occupancy in Hungary,
- a certificate on the acquisition of the qualification necessary for filling the position,
- a declaration, certificate on the (expected) yearly income,
- a certificate of the amount of money at the person’s disposal in Hungary,
- the simplified balance sheet of the previous year (for a firm already operating),
- a certificate that the firm has no public debt (for a firm already operating),
- if the firm has Hungarian employees: their employment contracts,
- in case of a new enterprise: a brief business plan.

In case a visa for gainful activity is based on self employment like 1/ putting equipment into operation, providing warranty or guaranteed repair or service work, as part of the contract with the foreign supplier of the equipment; 2/ an executive officer of a company with foreign participation; 3/ a member of the supervisory board of a company with majority foreign ownership, the applicant shall submit the following particular evidence in addition to other regular documents:

• in case of paragraph 1: (certified copy of) the contract on supplying of the equipment

• in case of paragraph 2. and 3.: the company's articles of incorporation, the certificate of incorporation issued by the Court of Registration, certification of usefulness of the activity, as well as statements concerning the nature, scope and duration of the activities and the staff involved

In case of a residence permit for educational purposes:

- a certificate of school attendance,
- a document certifying occupancy in Hungary (the document certifying accommodation in a student hostel or the tenancy contract with a duplicate of the title deed), and
- the documents certifying subsistence in Hungary (bank account statement; or the declaration of the parents that they assume coverage of all costs of the stay in Hungary; or the document certifying the scholarship).
- attestation of the school that the applicant is exempt from the payment of school fees or that he/she has already paid the tuition fees.

In case of a residence permit for family reunification:

- a document certifying occupancy in Hungary,
- a document certifying subsistence in Hungary,
- a marriage certificate / birth certificate, and
- a copy of the passport of the Hungarian relative.

In case of a residence permit for visiting a relative or a friend:

- an official letter of invitation or an invitation included in a notarial document,
- a certificate of the average income of the inviting party,
- a duplicate of the title deed, and
- a copy of the passport or the personal identification document of the inviting party. In case of a residence permit for medical treatment:
- the name and address of the health institution providing the treatment,
- a certificate of the character and the expected duration of the medical treatment,
- a certificate of the financial coverage for the medical treatment and the stay in Hungary, - the certification of occupancy in Hungary provided that the applicant does not stay in the medical institution,
- in case of a minor child or a family member in need of help: the certification of the accommodation and the subsistence of the accompanying person. In case of a residence permit for research:
- contract with an accredited research institute In case of a residence permit for voluntary work:
- contract with a Hungarian receiving institution, organization (church, library, town hall, etc.)

III. Fees, processing time

The fee for the residence permit application is 66 USD. As a general rule, the regional directorate processes the application within 30 days. If the purpose of entry is study or research the directorates shall make a decision within 15 days. In case of refusal, the applicant may lodge an appeal within 5 days from the notification. The appeal shall be submitted directly to that regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality that processed the application.

- The visa fee shall be paid when the application is submitted.
- The consulate does not charge any further fees other than the above.
- In case of a refusal of the visa, the visa processing fee cannot be refunded.
- The fee shall be paid in USD. 
- The consulate can only accept payments in cash, money order or cashier's check. 
- All documents to be presented in connection with the visa application shall be original. No copies, notarized or not, shall be accepted. Any request for waiving this requirement shall be rejected without further consideration. 
- You have to apply in person.

IV. Records of data, data protection

According to Article 95 of the Act on entry and stay of third country nationals (No. II. of 2007) the Office for Immigration and Naturalization (OIN) as well as the consulate authority shall manage the following data of foreign nationals, based on visa applications and on visas issued:

• natural particulars of identification;
• nationality (stateless status);
• photograph and passport data;
• the purpose of entry and the planned duration of stay;
• copies of documents verifying fulfillment of the requirements for entry and stay, or the data referring thereto;
• the rejection of visa and the reasons, if applicable;
• the number and series, and the period and territory of validity of the visa issued;
• the date and place of entry and exit;
• registered place of accommodation.

The consulate may disclose data from its register to law enforcement and criminal investigation agencies, the national security agencies and the refugee authority, to agencies specified by law or international agreement within the type of specific information defined therein, furthermore to Schengen / EU consulates in the jurisdiction.

If requested by the applicant, the OIN, and the consulate within its jurisdiction shall provide information regarding his data on record, unless the Aliens Act prohibits the disclosure of such data.

If the consulate determines, whether by the initiative of the applicant or ex officio, that any particular data on record is incorrect or has changed, it takes prompt measures to have such incorrect data corrected or removed from the records, whichever is appropriate.